SedationWe understand that some patients are nervous of visiting the dentist and that there are different levels of nervousness ranging from slight anxiety to dental phobia. Our dentists will take your fears seriously and offer advice on how to deal with them sensitively. We offer Intravenous (IV) sedation which can help you overcome your fear and anxiety and help you feel relaxed and calm during treatment. IV Sedation uses medication to help patients relax during dental procedures.
IV sedation is administered intravenously through a very small needle and induces a state of deep relaxation and a feeling of not being bothered by what’s going on. IV sedation can benefit you if you have a sensitive gag reflex or difficulty sitting in a dental chair for long periods of time. You will be conscious and able to cooperate fully with your dentist, understanding and responding to their requests. However, after treatment, you may not remember much (or anything at all) about what went on. It is very important to note that after IV sedation you should not drive or operate heavy machinery for at least 24 hours. If you would like to discuss using sedation for your treatment, please ask to speak to one of our sedation specialists.
Before Treatment Guidelines:
- DO take medication as normal, unless otherwise stated.
- DO eat as normal
- DO NOT take alcohol or non-prescribed medication on the day of your appointment.
- DO please use the toilet immediately before your appointment.
- DO ensure a responsible adult accompanies you to your appointment, to chaperone / drive you home
Following Treatment Guidelines:
- DO NOT drive for 24 hours.
- DO NOT operate machinery or electrical appliances for 24 hours.
- Do Not take excessive exercise
- DO ensure you are accompanied home by a responsible adult.